August 17, 2016
Use veggies from your garden to make this House favourite.
Roasted Vegetable Penne Bake
This dish is a simple three-step hearty bake with roasted summer vegetables and penne pasta.
· Recipe takes 20 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to cook
· Serves four
· Is a very filling serving of vegetables, carbohydrates and dairy
1 red pepper, cored and cut into thin strips
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into small cubes
1 Chinese eggplant, quartered lengthwise and cut into small cubes
2 mushrooms, halved
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/2 tbsp. dried Italian herb mix or herbs de Provence
200 g penne pasta
80 g grated applewood smoked cheddar cheese
400 ml marinara sauce
100 g frozen peas, thawed
30 g grated Parmesan
1) Preheat the oven to 425F.
2) On a baking sheet, toss the pepper, zucchini, squash, mushrooms and onions with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about six minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander.
4) In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
5) Pour the pasta into a greased 23-cm by 33-cm pan. Top with the remaining 15 g parmesan. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.