November 13, 2018
Comfort food that your whole family will love.
Baked mac and cheese is a classic family favourite at RMHC Toronto. Try making our recipe, loved by both parents and children.
- 520 mL dry elbow/macaroni pasta (265g)
- 360 mL evaporated milk (1 x 12 fl oz cans)
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ground pepper to taste
- 4 ½ cups pre-shredded cheddar cheese (550g)
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs (65g)
- Preheat ovens to 350°F (177°C).
- Fill a saucepan with water for pasta and bring to a boil. While water is boiling, melt ½ cup butter in microwave and set aside to cool. Use remaining butter to grease the glass baking container.
- Whisk eggs together in metal bowl until well beaten using a metal whisk.
- In a large saucepan, combine evaporated milk, milk, eggs, melted butter, 1 tsp. salt and pepper. Cover saucepan with foil wrap and set aside in refrigerator.
- Once water for pasta has been brought to a boil, add 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. olive oil to water. Add pasta and cook on high heat for 7-10 minutes, or until pasta is firm. Drain pasta.
- Place cooked pasta into a 9 x 13-inch greased baking dish. Place grated cheese on top of cooked pasta and pour egg mixture over top.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top and bake in oven for 25 minutes until top begins to brown.